The Many Benefits of Using Google Chromebook
In May 2016, it was announced that Google Chromebook had started outselling Macs in the US for the first time. So what is it exactly that makes these devices so popular and why would you buy one instead of a regular laptop?
What is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook is a simply a laptop that runs Google’sGool Chrome operating system (OS). Most laptops run Windows or OS X, but these systems are different. Instead of relying on software stored on the hard drive, Chromebooks were designed to be used primarily while connected to the internet, with everything being saved to the cloud. So you don’t have to worry about hard drive space, or poor performing applications, as it all runs on the internet.
There are a number of companies that manufacture devices that run the Chrome OS, such as Samsung, Acer, Asus and even Google themselves.
There are a large number of cloud-based applications designed for Chromebook users including Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Maps, Google Translate, ebay for Chrome, and Sumo Paint. This is just to name a few.
- Inexpensive – A Chromebook is a high quality device at a low cost. On average, the price is only about £300, while tablets and MacBooks can cost much more than that.
- Ease of use – Chromebooks are very easy to use. If you are familiar with the Chrome browser, then you can use the Chromebook OS. They are simple and straightforward to set up, and don’t need any maintenance once they are up and running.
- Collaboration – For students working on a group project together, or teams within a company, Chromebooks make collaborating quicker and easier. If you can’t get together at the same time in the same physical location, then you can at least edit documents together online.
- Seamless integration with Google Drive – Google Drive is like a hard drive, only on the internet instead of on your tablet. It is free and everything is backed up safely. You can upload a file to Google drive from your Chromebook, and then access it from a different computer or tablet anywhere.
All these benefits have made them equally popular in both the classroom and corporate environments.
- They are excellent for students, since they are so portable and require little to no set up.
- Writers love them because of the dependable word processor, especially if they’re already accustomed to using Google docs.
- Google Chromebook are great for seniors because they’re so user friendly.
- They are also suitable for anyone who just wants to connect to the internet on an inexpensive, reliable device.
If you’re thinking about buying a new MacBook or Laptop, it is worth also considering the alternatives. You may find that Chromebook comes out on top in terms of speed, cost, simplicity and features.
Want to know more about how Google Chromebook could be integrated into your office?
Just give us a call, we’ll be happy to help 0844 770 0199 – or drop us a line